Ryan D. Andrews
Ryan D. Andrews is a sustainable food systems advocate, dietitian, yoga instructor, and strength and conditioning specialist.
Some facts about Ryan:
He was a nationally competitive bodybuilder from 1996-2001.
Ryan has accumulated over 1000 hours volunteering on sustainable farms and with non-profit food recovery organizations.
- Ryan worked with Precision Nutrition since 2007.
The topics we covered were:
- How we are detached from food production and how it affects our eating
- How big an issue the food waste is
- The pros and cons of counting macros
- Is grass-fed meat the answer to sustainable farming?
- Five things you can do to take personal responsibility not only for your health, body, and performance but also help sustainable food future and ecology
Facts about the current food industry
- We slaughter 108 billion animals for food every 18 months (not including fish).
- Of all food produced, about 1/3 is lost or wasted.
- The food system is a major player in climate change, deforestation, water use/pollution, and biodiversity losses.
- Demand for animal protein, reckless agricultural land expansion, and climate change are all human-mediated factors driving the emergence of zoonotic diseases and antimicrobial resistance.
- More than half of what we eat in developed countries is highly processed and lacking variety.
- What can we do to help change the system? Check out the top row of the table* below. It’s a dietary pattern that’s healthy for us and for the planet.